Monday, February 06, 2006

my charming old friends


when my grandfather wants to say hullo and find out how a cousin or friend from the old days is doing, I write to them for him.

i enjoy writing letters, especially to old people. I love their stories from the past, the sepia remembrances and nostalgia... that gentle pace of life, the formal yet warm style of writing. its fun working out the explanations that will help the person step gently through time to connect my grandfather to me, or even to help them recall their old friend - striving for that delicate balance between chattiness and brevity!

I look forward to their replies, their letters so characterestic of their times . i had written to mr k when i was in school, and he was such a wonderful man, we soon became friends and would swap chatty emails. he would eagerly ask for news of my mother, of us, and when my grandfather shifted from such-and-such area, if he was still in touch with mutual friends…

in january i wrote to another friend of my grandfather's. thatha hadnt been in touch with this japanese gentleman for more than 10 years, and when he finally discovered an email address i was deputed to write to mr.t and wish him for the new year.

he replied with such a nice mail! after that as usual we wrote to each other some more, helping him and my grandfather bridge the gap of events that had flown past... and today it made my day to read his reply, which he ended with typical old-world courtesy and charm - "hoping for health and peaceful days for you all, I remain - Sincerely yours, T________".

".....Can you imagine us
Years from today,
Sharing a park bench quietly?...."

- Old friends, Simon and Garfunkel

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger FM said...

Grandfathers are priceless and so are their experiences.

with regards
FM

9:05 am  
Blogger Anand said...

Simon and Garfunkel...not so 'Good Friends' anymore na??

Good post though!

9:27 pm  
Blogger Anurag said...

I love Simon and Garfunkel so much, I patented the idea of being their fan. You owe me some money in form of royalty!

11:20 pm  
Blogger m. said...

fm: yup. ive some lovely memories thanks to this man :)

anand: hullo, and thanks!

kopos: thankoo

anurag: lol... what i will do as a gesture to a fellow fan will be to refrain from singing any of their numbers if youre in the neighbourhood!

4:43 am  
Blogger Senthil said...

I love writing letters the old-fashioned way... there is a llot more charm in selecting a paper, penning down stuff, taking care not to scratch too many words, and if it's an inland letter, trying to fit as much as possible into the available space... ah, the memories...

8:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi…I’m Roy, just start the journey in the blog-world. New..... so learning the tricks by peeping in others blog without any prior permission (sorry for that!!).

there is a nice song in thsi same subject...I done have the translated version...hope i can show it later.

Heii, why not take a look to my blog: (http://comeonroy.blogspot.com/) & tell me where I need to improve. Most important, maybe you can also get something new & interesting stuff…..maybe!!
Hoping to hear you..
Roy

12:39 am  
Blogger sensiblystoned said...

50 yrs down the line, your grandchildren will find it charming and queer to find out that we used words like yo, wassup, hola, tc, ciao. not to mention later alligator. lol.

4:43 pm  
Blogger R. said...

what a nice post! blog rolling you.

12:59 am  
Blogger m. said...

senthil: and squiggling little sketches in the margins!! gosh i loved doing that... my parents went to china when i was a kid, and the guy at the hotels front desk always had a special grin for my dad when he handed over faxes with the weirdest doodles! :D

roy: hullo. best of luck with your music :)

sensiblystoned: nooo, not charming?! come on.. this stuff is so inelegant! but thinking on, maybe youre right : sms-ese may have become more common. *shudder!*

rabin: welcome back, and thanks :)

6:28 pm  
Blogger ~Nitoo Das~ said...

Our grandchildren may find it strange that we kept blogs (sounds rather like pets, no?). Are blogs charactersitic of our times???

Yeah, I know. Not connected to your post. Just thinking out loud. :-S

3:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Visit Greenpeace.org to help prevent environmental destruction.
Creative Commons License
This blog's content is protected. Whack this and you get whacked.