Tuesday, January 25, 2005

dharma.

ive written a lot about things that made me angry - this is about something that made me feel really happy. though i still dont believe in a god in the conventional sense, this helps me. i hope you read this one of those days when youre wondering if theres any justice in this world... you know, when you work your way to atheism effortlessly in 10 seconds flat! :-)

as a kid, it used to bother me so much that the good side was always so helpless. i mean, the virtuous people would stand by, wring their hands and lament that evil was happening, but they wouldnt DO anything. the baddies on the other hand, were a bunch of hyperactive, forward-thinking guys.

that too since i used to believe in a benevolent god, it was very difficult to keep hearing how actively intelligent evil was, while good was being hopelessly insipid and inactive!

but one day in sanskrit class we did a stunning verse.

dharmo eva hatho hanthi dharmo rakshathi rakshithaha
thasmath dharmo na hanthavyo ma no dharmo hatho avadheeth


which simply blew that myth apart and left you cheering wildly!

loosely translated, the stanza says “if you protect your code (dharma), it will protect you. you sacrifice it, and it will end you”. or in mafia terms : dont mess with dharma!

HAH! now check that out! dharma is an active concept. it is intelligent. its alert. it applies the karmic forces and makes complicated judgements and protects itself. awesome. that rates infinitely higher than any cheap asura's war plans!

now youre talking!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Whoiscb said...

I know its a long time since you blogged this :)...but I happened to read this only now, and am not sure if you will take notice of this comment...

My trouble is not that I donot follow my dharma, but rather, that I donot know the answer to the following question:

What exactly defines my "Dharma" ?

Would be glad if someone answers that :)

12:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Visit Greenpeace.org to help prevent environmental destruction.
Creative Commons License
This blog's content is protected. Whack this and you get whacked.